We publish an annual anthology of the best vegan science fiction and fantasy of the year. We are open for submissions in the winter of every year.
What ‘vegan’ means here:
- We’re looking for stories happen to be vegan – no meat, no hunting, no horse-riding, no leather.
- Stories don’t have to be about veganism (though we don’t mind that).
- Still not sure? Here’s one definition of veganism: https://www.vegansociety.com/try-vegan/definition-veganism
- Vegan – Stories must be entirely vegan, and they must have been vegan when originally published.
- Reprints – We’re only looking for stories that were published in the previous year.
- Length – 1,000 – 8,000 words
- Venue – We’re restricting eligibility to stories originally published in venues that paid $.01/word or more.
- Original form – The stories must be presented as originally published, except for correction of typographic errors and similar minor corrections. Again, we don’t want stories that have been ‘veganized’ for this anthology.
- Simultaneous: Yes. Simultaneous submissions are fine. We’re buying non-exclusive rights. Sell your story as often as you can.
- Multiple: You may submit a total of two stories. Choose your best.
Follow the industry standard format defined by William Shunn. He has templates available, or you can use ours. We prefer a proportional, serif font like Cambria or Caladea. Use italics for emphasis, not underlining. Use smart/curly quotes. Use em dashes, not double hyphens.
Your story should be in one of the following file formats: ODT, DOC, DOCX. If you’re submitting an ODT, please add a few blank lines at the bottom. Otherwise Submittable’s presentation manager will cut off the last line of your story.
- We pay $.01/word for non-exclusive electronic and print rights.
- Payment is by PayPal only.
Submissions are open until 28 February. You’re free to submit your story any time after it’s published. However, note that we won’t be making any final decisions until spring.